Wednesday, February 6, 2013

It's a sweet time of year


Tuesday night I got together with 2 friends I haven't seen in a while. I've known Traci since freshman year of high school, but didn't become great friends with her until our senior year. She stood as one of my bridesmaids and I stood by her on her wedding day over a year ago. It was at her wedding I got to know and become friends with the other Traci. It was great catching up with both of them and we always have a fun time together!

Today, my sister decided to play hookie from work, so we met in her neck of the woods for lunch. It was a good time, despite the yucky, rainy weather.

I decided yesterday before meeting the Tracis for dinner that I'd make a yummy gift for them and my sister. Many people would think of caramel corn as a fall-time treat. However, it's deliciously sweet, which fits perfectly with this time of year and Valentine's day quickly approaching. It creates a little bit of a sticky mess, but it's well worth it!

I owe Traci and Traci a fresh batch next time I see them, as I left in a hurry last night and FORGOT their caramel corn on my kitchen counter! Sorry ladies!!!!

*A quick side note. I popped my corn on the stove top. I've been cooking popcorn this way since I was young, because it's the only way my mom made popcorn (she adds Tabasco sauce to the oil and it gives the popcorn a great kick! Mike named this Cajun Popcorn and I'll blog about it soon1) If you choose to pop your corn this way too, just follow the directions on the back of your popcorn container. I made way more than 4 1/2 cups of popcorn, so I doubled the caramel recipe.

Caramel Corn

INGREDIENTS:
4 1/2 cups popped corn
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/4 cup white or dark corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon soda

DIRECTIONS:
(My popcorn, popped on the stove)

Place popped corn in 2 large mixing bowls.

Mix sugar, butter, syrup, and salt in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and let boil for 5 minutes on medium heat.


Stir in vanilla and soda, mixing well.


Slowly pour over popped corn, stirring well.

Heap into a greased jelly roll pan. Bake 1 hour at 250 degrees. DON'T STIR! The caramel corn tends to break up by itself, so you don't need to cut or break it into pieces or stir while it's baking.


Store in air-tight container, or munch on it, but be warned, once you start eating it, it's hard to quit!



pups & kisses,
  Tiffany




2 comments:

  1. So excited to taste this!! Great to see you last night!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great Valentine's treat idea! And now I want to play hooky from work and bake yummy things with you :)

    ReplyDelete