Thursday, February 14, 2013

Ashes & Love

Ash Wednesday started the Lenten season. It's a season of penance, reflection, and fasting, which prepares us for Christ's resurrection on Easter Sunday. As Catholics, we're all supposed to fast from meat on Fridays during Lent.  It's also a time of year to make sacrifices and give something up or try to be a better person, hence the penance and reflection. To be honest, I have no idea what to give up and according to our Deacon during his homily yesterday, it's really no one else's business. Whatever you choose to sacrifice, it's between you and God. You're giving something up or sacrificing for him, no one else. 

I met my mom and grandparents at church yesterday evening to get our ashes. There are new music directors at our church and it just so happens to be the couple who sang at my parent's wedding over 33 years ago. It's also the daughter of my grandparent's very good friends, so it was great that they all got to see each other. After church we went to Landry's for a meat-less dinner. No meat on Fridays is not going to be fun, but we'll make it work and it's about sacrifice after all!

My grandparents and me on Ash Wednesday, after dinner at Landry's.

A print I bought on Etsy from FullerWords

Valentine's day should NOT be the only day of the year you show the important people in your life LOVE. But, it is a day to maybe go a little overboard with showing them how much they mean to you. Each year we do something different. Mike reminded me the other day of our first V-day together over 6 overs ago. I was in the hospital with a terrible case of mono for 4 days, just a week before Valentine's day. He had definitely seen me at my worst.....no make-up, no shower, throwing up constantly...and he still stayed by my side. He'd come straight from work and spend the evening by my side. So by the time V-day came, I was finally up to eating solid food and felt close to my regular self. We had planned to eat at Chuy's, where we had our first date. I got more dressed up than was necessary, but I didn't care..I wasn't in a hospital gown anymore! However, he got stuck at work and by the time he got to my house, it was late. We ended up at the hole in the wall Mexican restaurant that was a family favorite. Needless to say, I was over-dressed! It may not have been what we had planned, but it didn't matter. We both knew we were meant to be and that there would be many more Valentine's days ahead to make up for that first one....this year being one of them. I can't wait to spend a nice dinner out with my wonderful husband. 


Mike's in for a yummy surprise!!!


I came home from the gym and these beautiful yellow roses were on the porch from my great hubby!

Happy Day of Love to All!

pups & kisses,
  Tiffany





1 comment:

  1. Lucky guy getting that pizza! We almost did that too but I waited too long. Hope y'all have fun tonight!

    ReplyDelete