Friday, February 22, 2013

HAPPY GO TEXAN DAY Y'ALL

Today is Go Texan Day! A day to get those boots, tight jeans, and hats out and keep em' out for 3 weeks because it's RODEO TIME IN HOUSTON! Tomorrow is the OFFICIAL start of Rodeo season in Houston. The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo is the world's largest and richest rodeo, providing millions of dollars in scholarships each year. It brings out some of the biggest names in music, cowboys & girls, and has some of the BEST food! My first HLSR experience is one that I will NEVER forget.

We lived in Overland Park, KS (outside KC) when I was in late elementary school. To say I was obsessed with country music during that time would be an understatement. I had a subscription to Country Weekly magazine, dreamed of driving a Chevy pick-up truck when I turned 16, and wanted to grow up to be the next Reba! (Totally a phase I went through!) Originally from Houston, I knew from my extended family that Rodeo time was a big deal, but it became even bigger as I heard country music stations in Kansas City talking about it.  

So to back up a bit to the beginning of my fifth grade year……..school wasn't coming all that easy to me. Especially math!  My parents were the best, constantly working with me to make sure I succeed. When you don't always bring the best grades home, it does nothing but lower your self-esteem and confidence in yourself. There were a lot of down times and pictures of my dad and I sitting at the kitchen table working with math flashcards. 

By early January of my 5th grade year, the HLSR was already being talked about on the radio. Being discouraged in school, my parents made a deal with me.  They told me if I made all A's I could have whatever I wanted. My response shocked them! I wanted to fly on a plane by myself to Houston and attend the HOUSTON LIVESTOCK SHOW AND RODEO. I made all A's that grading period and before I knew it I was on a Southwest flight to Houston to spend 4 days with my grandparents, aunts, and uncles at the rodeo.

It was pretty much all I expected it to be! We spent all day and night at the rodeo for 3 days straight, and it was the last night that was the most special! My grandparents surprised me with front row seats to George Straight! I even got to touch his hand as he rode around the Astrodome on his horse after the show. 

1995 Rodeo Houston with my Nanny, Aunt Tina, & Aunt Cindy.....check out my REALLY cool outfit and my short jeans.....I was 5'7 in 5th grade!

It was something I will never forget and I am so grateful to my parents and extended family for making it all happen for me! I came home from that trip and didn't want to be Reba anymore, I wanted to be a barrel racer! Oh the random dreams of children!

It's kind of fun to think that 18 years ago, I attended the HLSR for the first time and tomorrow I'll run in the Rodeo Run and see the 75th annual Rodeo Parade for the first time.  A lot has changed in the last 18 years, but one thing stays the same…Rodeo time in Houston is the most fun time of the year!

pups & kisses,

  Tiffany


1 comment:

  1. I loved that you picked that as your reward! Reba was my first Rodeo experience. So sad I wasn't able to get George tickets this year!

    ReplyDelete