Monday, July 8, 2013

Not a happy 4th!


This past 4th of July was NOT fun!

Let me back up to the day before. Wednesday was a good day. I spent all of it at home. Took care of some things around the house, watched daytime tv, and spend quality time with my pups. That evening I went to dinner with one of my good friends and Mike went to the gym while I was gone. I was halfway home when Mike called and said Pasha wouldn't open one of her eyes. She was in her kennel while we were gone, which is nothing out of the ordinary. She loves her kennel and is a great kennel-trained dog. We immediately thought a bug bite since she had been fine all day. I told Mike to give her half a benedryl and when I got home, I knew we needed to go to the emergency vet clinic.

After over 3 hours there, seeing multiple critical dogs come in that made me cry a few times while I was in the waiting room, we found out Pasha had an abrasion on her cornea. We left with 3 medications and a very drugged up dog. When they carried her out to us, I almost lost it. I had NEVER seen her like that before. She stayed like that until mid-day the next day…couldn't stand or walk on her own. I slept, or tried to sleep laying on the floor in the family room next to her. Her breathing was labored and it was just so sad. She also needed meds every 4 and 6 hours, so I didn't sleep much at all. Our 4th of July consisted of taking care of our precious Pasha and ordering delivery pizza that night. No fireworks for us!

Friday I called the vet when they first opened and got Pash in. The vet dyed her eye, turned on the blacklight, and showed me the abrasion. It was so terrible! She basically scrapped off almost her entire cornea. We don't know how it happened, or if it was a gradual thing, or if there's an underlying cause called KCS, which is doggie dry-eye. They can't test for that until her cornea heals and it will heal assuming no infection occurs. I've been praying like crazy, giving her the now 4 medications she's on, and watching her very closely, to make sure no infection happens.

Saturday night we decided to put her back in her kennel with the cone on her head and go out to dinner. I was worried about her, but she ended up doing just fine! It may have helped that a new dose of pain meds were given right before we left. It's crazy how quickly she goes to sleep after being given those meds!

Sunday we were bored since we had stayed home so much over the past 4 days, so we left to go register at Babies-R-Us. We went in prepared. One of my great friends who's expecting her second  child and is also a stay-at-home mom, made a list of registry must-haves. It was such a helpful list, along with the research and reviews on products I read about. Even though we were prepared, it was so exhausting!!! It could have also been the fact that I've been sleeping on the couch in the family room and up at all hours of the night with Pasha.

Today we go back to the vet. They wanted to check her every few days to make sure the cornea is actually healing. I hope it is! I want this healed and now! I hate to see her uncomfortable with the cone on, and unsure of herself…not to mention, she probably can't see very well and is in pain! I'd also like to sleep through the night. I feel like this is what life's going to be like with a newborn/infant. I guess I'll be prepared for that after dealing with giving meds every 4 hours!

Hope you have a blessed week!

pups & kisses,
  Tiffany





1 comment:

  1. Poor Pasha! Hopefully it heals really quickly! That is no fun.

    ReplyDelete