Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Grilled Veggie Sandwiches


Yesterday we celebrated Carly's 4th birthday…..she also happens to have a twin sister, Cricket, who my mom and dad have. We went over to my parents last night so that the sisters could play on their birthday. I picked up birthday bones and my mom got dogurt…doggy yogurt! It was fun to see Carly and Cricket play together, especially since it had been a while.





Today we're 24 weeks and had our appointment this morning. We're still measuring 2 weeks early, so I'm thinking Logan's going to take after his dad and be a big baby! My blood pressure was elevated, but not as high as it had been at my previous appointments, so that was good. Mike took the whole day off, which I of course LOVE! He's working from home, but will also be here when the refrigerator repair man comes this afternoon. We're really hoping it's an easy, inexpensive fix!

This post is all over the place, so I apologize! I wanted to feature one of our favorite, wonderfully delicious, easy meals! Back a long time ago when Cheesecake Factory first opened, my mom ordered the grilled portobello sandwich off their menu. She loved it! All the veggies were grilled and there was a roasted garlic aioli on the toasted bread. She told us all about it and of course tried recreating it at home……it was a grand success! When Mike and I got married, I was a little worried he would think it was gross or wouldn't try it. I made it anyway and to my amazement, he loved this sandwich! I made it one night last week and even spent the time to roast my garlic and make a roasted garlic mayo….actual aioli has raw eggs, so I can't do that preggo! This is an easy meal, that we usually pair with kettle cooked chips with parmesan cheese sprinkled on them!


INGREDIENTS:

1 garlic pod
olive oil
salt & pepper
mayo
Tony's Chachere's original creole seasoning
Easy to grill veggies of your choice: I used: zucchini, yellow squash, red onion, and mushrooms
Hoagie rolls
*parmesan cheese optional….but let's face it, parm makes everything a little bit better!

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 400 degree.

Cut the top of your garlic pod off, exposing the inside…mine fell apart when I did this!

Drizzle olive oil over the top and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 45-50 minutes.

While your garlic is roasting, wash and cut all veggies. On a cutting board or baking sheet, lay all cut veggies out and brush lightly with olive oil. Then sprinkle with Tony's.

You can grill your veggies on an indoor grill pan, or an outdoor grill….I would use a grill pan though so your veggies don't fall through the grates.

Grill veggies a few minutes on each side, or until you see nice grill marks.


Once your garlic is roasted, carefully squeeze the garlic pods out of their paper shells and into a bowl of mayo. Add some freshly ground pepper, and stir until combined. 

Spread the roasted garlic mayo on your toasted hoagie roll and layer your grilled veggies.

Feel free to top with grated parmesan cheese and enjoy!

pups & kisses,
  Tiffany




No comments:

Post a Comment