Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Prayers for Boston


With every tragedy that hits our country, our hearts break. This world is a scary place and although I don't live in fear, I do find myself more cautious of my surroundings. When school shootings happen and innocent children and teachers were killed, it hit hard…especially as an educator. As a classroom teacher, I always ran scenarios through my head of horrible events and what I would do if I was ever found in one. I always had a plan because of what happened at Columbine, Virginia Tech, Newtown, and the many others. After the movie theater massacre, I found myself identifying all the exits in a theater…not because I'm scared, but because I'm cautious and this world has crazy people. 

Yesterday hit me pretty hard. In the past year, I have stood near 7 finish lines cheering on my husband and the other runners who work so hard to accomplish their goals. I've stood at those finish lines with other family members, around hundreds of spectators of all ages……children holding signs for their parents, babies in strollers, elderly, and even the family dog. Innocent people who just are there to support their family and friends. I think back to this past January in Disney World, when Mike ran his first 26.2 miles. I have a picture of the finish line and the grand stands the lined the last leg before the end, and it was just packed with people. I never once felt unsafe or thought about something bad happening. I can guarantee none of those spectators yesterday thought that either…yet, for so many, their lives are forever changed. As horrible as yesterday's event became, like so many other attacks on Americans are, I am thankful of one thing….that there are people in this world who run in to help those in need. That was clearly evident yesterday. First responders, volunteers, runners, spectators, all rushed in to help those in need…without hesitation. Thank God for people like that. It's those people that help us to restore hope in humanity when these terrible things happen in our world.

Prayers to all those in Boston.

pups & kisses,
  Tiffany




2 comments:

  1. I immediately thought of your guys yesterday. It's not fair that because of this and the evil behind it, you might now feel safe waiting for Mike at the finish line in future races.

    The people who responded and are going over the top to make the runners feel safe and give them places to stay are making my heart swell. No hesitation to be good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so unfortunate for those families that were there. There were so many brave heroes there to help everyone out!

    ReplyDelete