Monday, March 4, 2013

Running Cold!

Mike and I had quite the weekend! Friday early evening, we went to the health and fitness expo for our race on Saturday. I'm not sure it should have really been called an expo. It was outside, in a parking lot, under tents….….I'm pretty sure someone dropped the ball! Last year it was at one of the large churches out here and was set up really nicely! Oh well, we picked up our packets, Mike got a 2013 half marathon shirt and we left to meet friends Traci and Carl and their precious boys at one of our favorite pizza places. It was a great visit and a good carb load before our early bedtime. 


Saturday morning came early…4:30 to be exact! We were a little slow getting out the door, but that's okay since it was about 37 degrees outside………the earlier we got there the longer we'd be outside not running to warm up! We went to check our bag with our jackets for after the race, Mike left for his start line for the half, and I headed to my 5K start. Mike's ankle was bothering him and I was worried about him running 13.1 miles on it…..especially because once I started running I felt how tight my ankles were after standing around in the cold for 30 minutes! Thank goodness they loosened up once I got into my running groove, and Mike felt okay during his run, but not so much afterwards. My wonderful mom came out to watch me run! I saw her around mile 1 and then at the finish line also. She even saw Mike at his start and stayed with me while I waited for him to come through the finish line. It was so very cold and a little windy...I had my sleeves pulled over my hands my entire run and once I had finished, I could barely feel my hands and fingers! Despite the cold weather, I finished 4 minutes faster than the weekend before at the Rodeo Run, which I was really happy with, and Mike finished 5 minutes faster than any other half marathon he had run before! Apparently we run faster in cold weather! We left the race with my mom and met my dad at Einstein's (second weekend in a row!) and then headed home to watch the Jayhawks win! For our celebratory dinner, we went to Fuddrucker's, which was perfect for  putting some calories back in our bodies! We passed out early since we were up before dawn.




Sunday was pretty lazy! We went to Cheesecake Factory for a late lunch and by the time we got home, we were both feeling pretty run down. I think our Saturday was extremely tiring, but after another early bedtime and we are both feeling good this morning!

I hope everyone has a blessed week!

pups & kisses,
  Tiffany


No comments:

Post a Comment